Pinnacle Research Award in Liver Disease
Download the application [PDF].
The Pinnacle Research Award in Liver Disease is a three-year basic science award that provides young scientists with support for their research to bridge the gap between completion of research training and attainment of status as an independent research scientist. The additional research experience provided by this award is intended to enable young scientists to successfully compete for research awards from national sources, particularly the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Well-trained investigators who hold MD, PhD or MD/PhD degrees and are pursuing a career in liver disease research are encouraged to apply.
The Pinnacle Research Award is intended to develop the potential of outstanding, young scientists and encourage research in liver physiology and disease. Individuals who are already well-established in the field are not eligible for this award.
Special RFA for HepatoRenal Syndrome 1 (HRS-1) Related Research
Dedicated funding is available for the 2021 awards cycle to support one highly meritorious project focused on hepatorenal syndrome 1 (HRS-1) related research.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicant must be within the first five (5) years of his/her first faculty appointment (including prior appointments in universities outside of North America) at the start of the award (July 1, 2021).
- If the applicant does not have a faculty appointment at the time of application, a letter signed by the department chair confirming that the applicant will have a faculty appointment (a) no later than the Pinnacle Research Award start date and (b) for the full award cycle must be submitted.
- If funded, at least 50% of the available time will be devoted to the research project on which this application is based.
- The applicant must be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- The applicant must be sponsored by a research mentor. The mentor must be an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research. The funded research project must be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- At the time of application or during the Pinnacle Research Award cycle, the applicant cannot hold or have held any of the following awards: NIH R01, PO1, R29, R21, or any K award; American Liver Foundation Liver Scholar Award; Veterans Administration Merit Review Grant or Career Development Award; AGA Industry Award, Glaxo Institute for Digestive Health Award; American Heart Association Award, or any other similar award that is intended to primarily support the salary of young investigators.
- The AASLD Foundation must be notified immediately if the applicant receives another research award during the application process or after the receipt of an award.
- Applicant may only apply for one award offered by the AASLD Foundation per application cycle.
Award Period: July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2024
- Awards of $300,000 will be provided over three (3) years ($100,000 per year).
- Funds may only be used for salary support and/or for technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient.
- No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
- Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from AASLD Foundation.
- Annual renewal will depend on scientific progress, verification of faculty status, and other received or pending research funding.
- Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications (abstracts, manuscripts, or other documents) resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award.
- Funding notifications for the 2021 awards cycle will be sent no later than May 1, 2021.
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the scientific merit of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm ET, December 3, 2020.
Applications will be accepted online starting on August 19, 2020. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2021 Pinnacle in LT – Last name, First Name (Example: 2021 Pinnacle – Smith, Jane)