Pinnacle Research Award in Liver Disease
The application period for this award has closed. Notifications will be sent by May 1, 2020.
Download the application [PDF]
The Pinnacle Research Award in Liver Disease is a three-year basic science award that provides young scientists with support for their research to bridge the gap between completion of research training and attainment of status as an independent research scientist. The additional research experience provided by this award is intended to enable young scientists to successfully compete for research awards from national sources, particularly the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Well-trained investigators who hold MD, PhD or MD/PhD degrees and are pursuing a career in liver disease research are encouraged to apply.
The Pinnacle Research Award is intended to develop the potential of outstanding, young scientists and encourage research in liver physiology and disease. Individuals who are already well-established in the field are not eligible for this award.
Applications in this category may be eligible for special funding. View the RFA. [PDF]
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicant must commence the award within the first five (5) years of his/her first faculty appointment (including prior appointments in universities outside of North America).
- If the applicant does not have a faculty appointment at the time of application, a letter signed by the department chair confirming that the applicant will have a faculty appointment (a) no later than the Pinnacle Research Award start date and (b) for the full award cycle must be submitted.
- The applicant must be a member of AASLD at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a research mentor. The mentor must be an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research.
- At the time of application or during the Pinnacle Research Award cycle, the applicant cannot hold or have held any of the following awards: NIH R01, PO1, R29, R21, or any K award; American Liver Foundation Liver Scholar Award; Veterans Administration Merit Review Grant or Career Development Award; AGA Industry Award, Glaxo Institute for Digestive Health Award; American Heart Association Award; or any other similar award that is intended to primarily support the salary of young investigators.
- The AASLD Foundation must be notified immediately if the applicant receives another research award during the application process or after the receipt of an award.
- Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Award Period: July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2023
The award of $300,000 will be provided over three years ($100,000 per year). Funds may only be used for salary support or for technical support/laboratory supplies for the recipient (excluding capital equipment). No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
Funds will be issued to the recipient's institution and are not transferable to another recipient or another institution. The AASLD Foundation must approve any award transfer to an institution other than the sponsoring institution listed on the application.
Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award. Abstracts, manuscripts, or other articles that reflect research funded by this award must acknowledge support from the AASLD Foundation.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to the AASLD Foundation at the end of the first and second award years and within 60 days of completion of the award. Annual renewal of funding for the second and third years of the award is contingent upon receipt of annual reports.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the scientific merit of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm ET, December 4, 2019.
Applications will be accepted online starting on July 1, 2019. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2020 Pinnacle in LT – Last name, First Name (Example: 2020 Pinnacle – Smith, Jane)