Application Period: March 1, 2022 – April 15, 2022
Meeting Dates: November 4 – 8, 2022
Meeting Location: Washington, DC
The 2022 application deadline for this program has passed. Notifications will be sent by August 31, 2022
View the 2022 request for applications (PDF)
The AASLD Foundation Emerging Liver Scholars (ELS) program provides medical residents the opportunity to explore hepatology as a career through educational and professional development programming, learning directly from leaders in the field, and networking with hepatology KOLs and peers from around the globe.
Selected Scholars for this highly competitive program receive complimentary registration and travel support to attend The Liver Meeting®, where they will participate in exclusive networking and educational events while also having full access to all scientific programming the meeting has to offer. During their award year, Scholars will also receive complimentary AASLD membership, subscriptions to AASLD journals, and be able to participate in special virtual professional development activities led by AASLD / AASLD Foundation leadership.
How to Apply
In order to be eligible for this program, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines:
1. The applicant must:
- Be a:
- 1st or 2nd year Internal Medicine, Pathology, Radiology, or Pediatrics Resident; or
- 1st through 4th year Surgical Resident
- Be interested in choosing adult or pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology, hepatopathology, surgery or GI radiology with an emphasis on hepatobiliary imaging as their career focus.
- Have a mentor who is active in hepatology and who is an AASLD member in good standing
2. Mentor & Application Limits
- Each mentor may support up to two applicants per year.
- Two mentors may act as co-mentors for one ELS applicant, if appropriate.
- There is no limit to the number of applications that will be accepted per institution, but only one candidate may be selected per distinct residency program at a single institution (i.e., one resident from the internal medicine program and one from the pediatric program at the same institution may be selected, but two internal medicine residents at the same institution will not be selected in the same program year).
- Past Emerging Liver Scholars are not eligible. Candidates that have previously applied and were not selected are strongly encouraged to re-apply if they continue to meet eligibility criteria.
Applications for this highly competitive program will be evaluated on the candidate’s potential for a career in academic medicine, including their background and demonstration of:
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Motivation, self-direction, and personal integrity
- Leadership ability and activities
- Scholarly activity and research productivity
For the Resident Mentee:
- During the Liver Meeting®:
- Commit to attend for the duration of the meeting (Thursday – Tuesday)
- Commit to attend all required ELS program special events during the meeting
- Allow your mentor to guide you throughout the program and be open to suggestions about programming and attendance at certain
- Check in daily with your mentor
- Throughout the program year:
- Provide for two-way communication and regular follow-up with your mentor
- Regularly participate in virtual career development activities for ELS program participants
- Following your ELS year:
- Respond to an annual program outcomes survey for up to five years
- Serve as a resource to your colleagues by informing them about your experience at The Liver Meeting®
For the AASLD Mentor:
- You will be expected to guide the resident throughout the program, both during The Liver Meeting® and following the meeting.
- During the meeting, attend all Emerging Liver Scholar functions when required; check in with the resident daily during the meeting; and share your knowledge, understanding and experiences in the field of hepatology.
- After the meeting, help facilitate career development through guidance and advice; provide for two-way communication; and be the champion of the resident.
How to Apply
- Review the full request for applications
- The completed application must be combined in the order listed in the Required Documents section (RFA page 2) and submitted as one PDF document.
- Name the PDF file as follows: 2022_ELS_Last name, first name (Example: 2022_ELS_Smith, Jane)
- Submit your combined application package at liverresearchawards.org