Pilot Research Award
The application period for this award has closed. Notifications will be sent by May 1, 2020.
Download the application [PDF]
The AASLD Foundation Pilot Research Award supports highly innovative research ideas that have a clear potential to produce high-impact results, but that have little or no preliminary data to successfully compete for funding from other sources. This award is not intended to support ongoing research in the applicant’s laboratory, but rather support new ideas or approaches that have not previously been studied.
One Pilot Research Award per year will be reserved for the most meritorious PSC-related research. Broader project eligibility criteria will be used for the evaluation of the PSC-related applications.
Applications in this category may be eligible for special funding. View the RFA. [PDF]
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
- Applicant must be at the post-doctoral level (MD, PhD, PharmD or equivalent), or faculty at or below the rank of Associate Professor in an accredited North American (US, Canada, or Mexico) academic institution at the award start date (July 1, 2020).
- If funded, at least 20% effort will be devoted to the research project on which this application is based.
- The applicant must be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- If the applicant is at or below the rank of Assistant Professor, they must have a mentor or co-mentor who is an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and for the duration of the award period. Mentors are not required for Associate Professor level applicants or equivalent.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research. The funded research project must be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- The proposed project must not be an established project with alternate funding.
- Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Award Period: July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021
Awards of $50,000 will be provided over one year. Funds may only be used for technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient. In the event the funded candidate is a post-doctoral researcher, up to $10,000 may be used for PI salary support. No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from AASLD Foundation. Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications (abstracts, manuscripts, or other documents) resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to the AASLD Foundation at the end of the first award year and within 60 days of completion of the award.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the scientific merit/potential impact of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Project feasibility, an appropriate environment to conduct the project, and relevant collaborators will strengthen the application.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm ET, December 4, 2019.
Applications will be accepted online starting on July 1, 2019. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2020 Pilot – Last name, First Name (Example: 2020 Pilot – Smith, Jane)