Clinical, Translational and Outcomes Research Award
The application period for this award has closed. Notifications will be sent by May 1, 2020.
View last year's application [PDF]
The Clinical, Translational and Outcomes Research Awards in Liver Diseases are two-year awards of $200,000 ($100,000/year) intended to foster career development for individuals performing clinical research, translational research, or outcomes research in a liver-related area and who have shown commitment to excellence at an early stage of their research study. The awards ensure that a significant portion of young investigator's time is protected for research, with an overall objective of enabling young investigators to develop independent and productive research careers in liver disease. Up to two applications per distinct department will now be accepted per single sponsoring institution.
One award per year will be reserved for meritorious transplant related research in memory of the University of Michigan Transplant Team.
Applications in this category may be eligible for special funding. View the RFA. [PDF]
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
- Applicant must be within the first five (5) years of his/her first faculty appointment (including prior appointments in universities outside of North America) at the start of the award (July 1, 2020).
- If the applicant does not have a faculty appointment at the time of application, a letter signed by the department chair confirming that the applicant will have a faculty appointment (i) no later than the Pinnacle Research Award start date and (ii) for the full award cycle must be submitted.
- If funded, at least 50% effort will be devoted to the research project on which this application is based.
- The applicant must be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Applicant must have a mentor or co-mentor who is an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and for the duration of the award period.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research. The funded research project must be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- Project is clinical, translational, or outcomes based research. “Clinical Research” is defined as studies related to patients or disease processes having direct contact between the principal investigator and humans. Clinical research includes clinical trials in liver disease. “Translational Research” is defined as clinical research with a substantial component of laboratory investigation using blood or tissue specimens from patients with liver disease. “Outcomes Research” includes epidemiological studies, patient-centered outcomes research or health services research.
- Applicant does not hold other similar research awards. Applicants who hold other research awards (including but not limited to NIH K08, K23, R21; Veterans Administration Merit Review Grant or Career Development Award; AGA Research Scholar Award; Glaxo Institute of Digestive Health Award; American Liver Foundation Liver Scholar Award, etc.) are not eligible.
- A single sponsoring institution may submit up to two applications per distinct department within each institutional training site.
- Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Award Period: July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2022
Awards of $200,000 will be provided over two years ($100,000 per year). Funds may only be used for salary support or for technical support/laboratory supplies for the recipient. No indirect costs are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
Funds will be issued to the recipient's institution and are not transferable to another recipient or another institution. The AASLD Foundation must approve any award transfer to an institution other than the sponsoring institution listed on the application.
Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award. Abstracts, manuscripts, or other articles that reflect research funded by this award must acknowledge support from the AASLD Foundation.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to the AASLD Foundation at the end of the first award year and within 60 days of completion of the award. Funding of the second year of the award is contingent upon receipt of first year reports.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award was 11:59 pm ET, December 4, 2019.
Applications will be accepted online starting on July 1, 2019. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2020 CTORA – Last name, First Name (Example: 2020 CTORA – Smith, Jane)