Autoimmune Liver Diseases Pilot Research Award
Download the application [PDF]
The purpose of this one year, $20,000 award is to provide supplementary funding during the pilot phase of basic, translational or clinical research projects in autoimmune liver disease (e.g. autoimmune hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, primary biliary cholangitis) in preparation for future grant applications by the recipient. Projects should address focused research questions pertaining to the pathogenesis, diagnosis, management or outcome of autoimmune liver diseases in children and adults.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
- Applicant must be at the pre-doctoral/graduate level, post-doctoral level, or junior faculty within five (5) years of their faculty appointment date in an accredited North American (US, Canada, or Mexico) academic institution at the award start date (July 1, 2020).
- If funded, at least 20% effort should be devoted to research activities related to this award.
- The applicant must be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- The applicant must have a mentor who is an AASLD member in good standing for the duration of the award period.
- Funded projects must be completed at the sponsoring North American institution.
- Projects with aims already funded by other awards will not be considered.
- Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Award Period: July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021
One award of $20,000 will be provided for one year. Funds may only be used for salary support or technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient. No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the candidate in order to carry out the proposed research.
Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from the AASLD Foundation.
Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications (abstracts, manuscripts, or other documents) resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to the AASLD Foundation within 60 days of completion of the award.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project. The potential for the research to support the recipient in a future academic career as a physician scientist in hepatology will also be considered.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm Eastern time, December 4, 2019.
Applications will be accepted online starting on July 1, 2019. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2020 Autoimmune Pilot – Last name, First Name (Example: 2020 Autoimmune Pilot – Smith, Jane)