Advanced/Transplant Hepatology Award
View the application [PDF]. The application deadline for this award was January 15, 2021.
The purpose of this award is to encourage the academic career of exceptional hepatology trainees. The Advanced/Transplant Hepatology Award provides $5,000 in travel funds to fourth year Transplant Hepatology fellows or third year GI/Hepatology dual certification program fellows in accredited US, Canadian, or Mexican programs to attend The Liver Meeting® and one additional educational meeting (approved by the Research Awards Committee).
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines.
The applicant must:
- Have been accepted to a U.S. ACGME approved (or Canadian/Mexican equivalent) transplant hepatology training program with a start date of July 1, 2021; or plan to apply for the dual certification GI/Transplant Hepatology combined program with a start date of July 1, 2021. Note: Prior to funding, successful applicants from 3rd year dual certification programs must have confirmed acceptance into the dual certification GI/Transplant Hepatology program.
- Be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Have a faculty mentor who is active in hepatology at the applicant’s sponsoring institution and who is an AASLD member in good standing. Each mentor may only support one Advanced/Transplant Hepatology Award applicant per awards cycle.
The sponsoring institution/program must:
- Have a United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) or Canadian/Mexican equivalent approved liver transplant program, which must be in good standing and must perform at least 10 liver transplantations per year.
- Have a full-time faculty member or members capable of teaching a curriculum with a broad base of knowledge in transplant medicine and hepatology.
- Provide training in living donor transplantation.
- There is no restriction on the number of applicants each sponsoring institution can submit each cycle, but each faculty mentor may only support one applicant per cycle and only one applicant may be funded per distinct department within each institutional training site.
- Applicants may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Award period: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022
- The award provides $5,000 travel support for the recipient to attend The Liver Meeting® and one additional educational meeting (subject to Committee approval; e.g. Digestive Disease Week, International Liver Congress, American Transplant Congress, or any course offered by AASLD) during their fellowship year.
- Travel funds are paid to the individual awardee (not the sponsoring institution) on a reimbursement basis for actual travel expenses incurred.
- The maximum amount that can be allocated to a single meeting is $3,500.
- Unused travel funds at the end of the award term will be forfeited.
Funding notifications for the 2021 awards cycle will be sent no later than May 1, 2021.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background and their commitment to an academic career in adult or pediatric clinical hepatology. Specifically, candidates will be reviewed based on:
- Background and professional potential of the applicant as an academic hepatologist (presentations at meetings, publications, etc.)
- Experience, academic productivity, and commitment of the faculty mentor(s)
- Clinical and/or academic environment
- Candidate statement reflecting strong academic career plan including planned research focus and mentorship plan if known
The application deadline for this award was January 15, 2021.
Applications will be accepted online starting on August 19, 2020. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2021 AdvHep – Last name, First Name (Example: 2021 AdvHep in LT – Smith, Jane)